Who can access Discus?
Discus is available at no cost to South Carolina residents.
Although Discus is available statewide, the resources are presented and accessed according to your institutional affiliation. Please contact your local library branch, school media specialist, or the Discus Office with any questions.
How to get a password?
There is a statewide username and password for access. You can obtain the current Discus username and password from the library that you are most often affiliated with, as outlined below.
- If you are a K-12 student, ask your school library media specialist for assistance.
- If you are a student at a college or university, check with your academic library for assistance.
- If you are a public library patron, ask the staff at your public library for assistance.
If you are having trouble accessing the databases, first, make sure that your equipment meets the minimum technical requirements.
Here are some further troubleshooting tips:
- The current username and password can be obtained from the librarian or media specialist at your school, college, or public library. The username and password are changed every August 1 and are valid for a full year. Usernames and passwords are always lowercase.
- If the database does not load, try accessing it from a different browser or on another computer.
- If you are unsuccessful at accessing one database, try connecting to another Discus database. If this works, contact your library to find out whether any resources are temporarily unavailable. Be prepared to explain the specific error message or problem that is occurring.
- If you are still unsuccessful after these tips, please contact the Discus Office.