- Support the South Carolina State Library's mission - to optimize South Carolina's investment in library and information services
- Contribute to the intellectual development of South Carolina citizens
- Serve the information needs of all by providing a core collection of high quality online resources - with a particular emphasis on supporting education, enhancing economic development and improving quality of life
- Provide equal access to information
- Provide 24/7 access
- Ensure cost-efficient use of state and federal funds
Discus is for South Carolinians!
Discus - South Carolina's Virtual Library provides all South Carolinians with access to an electronic library of essential information resources. This set of core resources is made available to every citizen through South Carolina's school, college and public libraries. Discus ensures equal access to information and learning resources regardless of race or socio-economic status.
The Discus website serves two primary functions. It is a portal - the only access point for the K-12 community and selected public libraries. (Institutions of higher education and many public libraries maintain their own links to Discus provided resources.) It also serves as the administrative site for overall program implementation. Librarians and media specialists from all user groups are encouraged to utilize the Training Tab for their training needs. The Toolkit is designed primarily to assist media specialists and librarians in implementing the Discus program at their institutions. There are links to promotional materials, training tips and guides, and technical information.