Discus is a collection of free online resources provided by the South Carolina State Library for South Carolina residents. Below are answers to frequently asked questions.
1. How do I get the Discus Username and Password?
There are a variety of ways to get the Discus Username and Password:
- For every SC Resident: Your Public Library or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- For K-12 Students: Your School Librarian or Media Specialist
- For College Students: Your University or College Library
- For every SC Resident or Homeschool Students: Your Public Library or contacting email@example.com
2. Has the Discus login changed? It worked fine when I used it before.
The Discus login changes every school year starting August 1st. For the current Discus login, please contact your school media specialist/librarian, public library, or the Discus Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. I don’t live in South Carolina, but I do have an active South Carolina Library Card. Can I still use Discus?
Yes, please contact the public library you have the library card for, to get the Discus login.
4. I’m a student at a South Carolina College/University, but I live out of state. Can I still use Discus?
Yes, please email the Discus Office at email@example.com for the Discus login.
5. Do I need to verify that I’m a South Carolina Resident to get the Discus login?
- If you request the login through firstname.lastname@example.org, please include in your question where in South Carolina you are located or which school you attend or are affiliated with.
- If you request the login through your public library, you may be asked for your library card number.
Using Discus Databases
1. How do I choose a database? There are four ways to choose a database on our Discus Website.
2. Do you have a tutorial on how to navigate a database?
Yes, access the A-Z List, and click the Tutorials slider on the far right to view short Tutorials on how to navigate many of our Discus databases.
3. Does Discus offer any other tutorials, lesson plans, or activities on the database?
- Watch our videos in the Online Archives.
- Check out the Subject and Topical Guides in Training Resources.
- Check out the eLearning Lesson Plans for ideas and inspiration.
- Download and color the Discus Coloring Page.
4. Is there a way to search several databases at once?
- To search multiple databases for K-5 grade level, click the Discus Kids tab to search in SmartSearch Kids.
- To search multiple databases for grades 6 -12, click the SmartSearch tab.
Using Tutor.com through Discus
1. Is Tutor.com free?
Tutor.com is free and available for K-12 Students.
2. Do I need to make an account to connect with a tutor?
No, you can immediately connect with a tutor without making an account.
3. What’s the point of making an account with Tutor.com?
Creating an account with Tutor.com allows you to:
- Store your assignments, class notes, projects, and more online in the Tutor.com locker.
- Connect with your favorite tutor. No more random tutors. With an account, you can connect with your favorite tutor every time.
- Submit papers for review, drop off a math question, take practice quizzes, and more.
4. The Tutor.com website is asking me to log in. I thought I didn’t have to sign up?
Please make sure you click on the Tutor.com link on the Discus A-Z List. The Tutor.com webpage should look like below:
5. For what subjects does Tutor.com provide tutoring?
Tutor.com offers help in core subjects like math, reading, science, English, and social studies. In addition, tutoring is available for ESL/ELL, world languages, and computer literacy.
1. Help! I tried using one of the databases, and it is not opening.
If the database is not opening, you may need to try opening it in a different browser like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge. Also, clear the cookies in your browser and then reload the page to see if it will open.
2. How can I get help from the Discus Office?
Submit your question by email to the Discus Help Desk at email@example.com or call (803) 545-0201.
3. How can I get help from the Discus Office after-hours or on the weekend?
Please email the Discus Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org during after hours or on the weekend.
4. What do I need to include with my question when I email the Help Desk?
The more information you can provide about the problem will help us quickly find a solution. If possible, please send us screenshots of the problem along with a screenshot of the web link, for example:
Example Screenshot of Web Link:
Example Screenshot of the Problem:
1. Do any of the Discus databases have a mobile app?
Yes, BrainPOP Jr., EBSCO, and TumbleBooks have mobile apps on Android and Apple. For Android phone users, please visit the Google Play Store to download these apps. For Apple phone users, please visit the App Store to download these apps. For more mobile related questions, please visit the Mobile Access page.
Discus Contact Information
1. How do I call or email someone at the Discus Office?
You can reach us by phone, 803-545-0201, or email the Discus Help Desk at email@example.com.
2. What is your mailing address?
1500 Senate St.
Columbia, SC 29201
3. Is Discus on Facebook or Twitter?